How to study at home for IAS Exam? In India, a huge number of aspirants applies for IAS but very few can succeed in achieving their goals. The syllabus of IAS exam is vast and this exam is considered to be one of the most difficult competitive exam in India, so one is required to work very hard in order to achieve his/her goals regarding IAS. Only completing the whole syllabus for IAS exam would not be enough for an aspirant for getting prepared for the exam. It is required for a candidate to have knowledge regarding all recent happenings across the whole world. In addition, if the candidate clears all the levels of the exam then he/she would be interviewed at the last stage by the UPSC board to assess that whether the candidate is eligible for the job or not, so the candidate must develop his/her personality in such a way that he/she can get selected.
Therefore, it is crucial to know the ways of preparing oneself for IAS and this article would provide this information so that it can be helpful for the aspirants.
Taking preparation for IAS exam
A candidate who is going to appear in the upcoming IAS exam would surely get help from the tips discussed in this article for getting prepared properly for the IAS exam. Here are the List of 15 Magical UPSC Preparation Tips to learn How to study at home for IAS Exam?
- 15 Magical Tips to Learn How to Study at Home for IAS Exam:
- Tip 1: Taking Mental Preparation
- Tip 2: A Time Table Creation
- Tip 3: Go Through the UPSC Syllabus
- Tip 4: Optional Subject Selection
- Tip 5: NCERT Textbooks
- Tip 6: Short Notes
- Tip 7: Reading Newspapers for latest information
- Tip 8: Magazines
- Tip 9: Solving UPSC Question Papers of Previous Years
- Tip 10: Appearing for Mock Test
- Tip 11: Important Government Resources
- Tip 12: Practice of Answering Questions
- Tip 13: UPSC Interview
- Tip 14: Positive Mind
- Tip 15: Revision
- Frequently Asked Questions:
15 Magical Tips to Learn How to Study at Home for IAS Exam:
Tip 1: Taking Mental Preparation
- At first, it is important for the aspirants to prepare themselves in order to start their studies for the IAS exam.
- After that, the pattern for the IAS exam should be perceived. Three stages are there under this exam and those are prelims, mains and the last stage is interview.
- In case the candidate is employed then separate time for studying needs to be allotted.
- Being employed, one can easily prepare for UPSC exam by taking help from internet.
Tip 2: A Time Table Creation
- It becomes easy for an aspirant to prepare properly for the IAS exam if a proper time table is created and followed.
- A proper time table is very effective in balancing all the tasks and preparing for the exam.
Tip 3: Go Through the UPSC Syllabus
- Before beginning the study, the syllabus for the IAS Preliminary along with Main exam must be comprehended by the aspirants.
- It is necessary to know the syllabus so that the subjects can be selected accurately.
Tip 4: Optional Subject Selection
- 500 marks are allotted for the optional subject in the UPSC exam. Therefore, it is of utmost importance that the optional subject is selected by an aspirant by considering the following important factors:
- The basic knowledge regarding the subject possessed by the aspirant beforehand.
- The aspirant’s interest regarding the subject.
- Whether study notes are available or not.
- Whether tutoring is available or not.
Tip 5: NCERT Textbooks
- The aspirants can surely get help from the NCERT textbooks for preparing themselves for the IAS exam.
- Starting from class 6 to class 12, all the NCERT textbooks should be followed to get the basic knowledge.
- Questions from NCERTs had been asked in UPSC exam in preceding years, therefore, NCERT textbooks must be followed along with other progressive textbooks as they provide comprehensive and logical information.
Tip 6: Short Notes
- Making short notes is very crucial for aspirants in preparing for UPSC examination.
- Candidates cannot revise the whole syllabus before the exam so the candidates get help from the short notes for revising all the topics that are relevant.
- If the candidates make notes for every subject properly in different notebooks then it will surely be effective for their preparation as they would be able to recognize and revise relevant information.
Tip 7: Reading Newspapers for latest information
- Newspaper reading is very crucial for IAS aspirants in order to get updates regarding the recent happenings.
- Strong knowledge regarding the current affairs would help the candidates to crack the IAS exam.
Tip 8: Magazines
- Some magazines can help to get important information required to clear IAS examination.
- Kurukshetra, Yojana are some relevant magazines.
Tip 9: Solving UPSC Question Papers of Previous Years
- The aspirants would get help in understanding the level and pattern of the questions in the paper if they solve the question papers of previous years.
- They would get to know how much hard work and eligibility are required in order to crack IAS exam.
Tip 10: Appearing for Mock Test
- If one is preparing for IAS exam at home then it is necessary to participate in the series of mock test so that a clear idea of the main exam can be perceived.
- Aspirants will be able to identify in which subject they are strong and where they are weak, hence, they will get the opportunity to focus on their shortcomings to improve themselves.
Tip 11: Important Government Resources
- Aspirants can depend on many government sources during their preparation for the IAS exam. There are many government websites which can help the aspirants such as PRS.
Tip 12: Practice of Answering Questions
- The ability of writing answers briefly and appropriately in the exam would develop if the aspirants practice writing answers at home.
- The candidates would not get enough time to think before writing answers and if they write irrelevant points in the answer in hurry then it would be worthless, hence, it is important to have practice in writing answers accurately.
- The candidates need to have clear concept regarding all the topics and should have the ability to arrange important points and their own ideas perfectly in their answers.
Tip 13: UPSC Interview
- The aspirants need to improve their personality like their communicative skills, self-possession, alertness, etc. so that the interview stage that is the last stage of the exam can be cleared.
- All the questions should be answered confidently and accurately in that interview.
- Questions can be asked regarding the candidate’s personal experience, his/her interests, etc.
Tip 14: Positive Mind
- Staying positive all the time is required to be confident for appearing for the IAS exam.
- Though the journey for preparing oneself for the exam is difficult, one should not lose hope.
Tip 15: Revision
- To crack one of the most difficult exam, revising the important topics frequently is of utmost importance.
- It is crucial to remember every topic of all the subjects.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Ques: Can I prepare for UPSC at home?
Ans. You can, if you take the right steps towards IAS preparation. With online sources and strategy available, you can easily prepare for the IAS exam at home. With focus and dedication, and the right guidance, you can clear the IAS exam.
Ques: How to prepare for IAS at home?
Ans. Follow the steps outlined below to kick-start your IAS preparation at home:
- Understand the UPSC pattern and procedure first.
- Go through the UPSC syllabus thoroughly.
- Start reading a few books and watch video lectures online for a few basic subjects like polity, history, geography, etc.
- Read the newspaper regularly.
- Chart out a preparation time table and follow it strictly.
- Enrol for a good test series and get answer writing practice.
Ques: Is 1 year enough for IAS preparation?
Ans. 1 year is sufficient for IAS preparation if you prepare diligently.
Ques: How can I start my IAS preparation during graduation?
Ans. You can start your IAS preparation during graduation itself. All you must do is go through the syllabus and chart out a study plan for IAS. Starting early has many advantages. You will have age on your side since the IAS age limit will be far away. Also, being young and still a student, you would be in touch with academics, giving you an edge over older competitors. Also, being in college, you can make use of your college library for the preparation. And, make sure you take part in college fests and events as this experience will help you develop a well-rounded personality, and also make up for your lack of work experience in case you clear the exam right after your graduation! Click on the following link To learn more about What is the Right Time for Starting Preparation for IAS EXAM?
Ques: How to prepare for IAS exam after 12th?
Ans. If you are starting your preparation after 12th, you have the advantage of choosing a subject for graduation that will suit your IAS preparation. You can opt for graduation in subjects like political science, history or sociology – subjects that will help you cover the UPSC syllabus in a better way. This way, you can easily combine your graduation studies and IAS preparation. Also, you have enough time to hone your soft skills like communication skills and also develop a good hobby – both of which would aid you in the interview stage.
Ques: How to prepare for IAS while doing engineering?
Ans. Many UPSC candidates have cleared the IAS exam preparing for it while they were engineering students. Even though it can get hectic, it is not impossible. With a full-fledged plan and the correct guidance, it is possible to crack the toughest exam in India even while in engineering college.